Each year, one lucky Sports Management student gets the opportunity to go on placement. My friend and coursemate, Max, recently returned from his incredible year away in America.
Here’s what Max had to say…
Placement: Fitness & Recreation Intern, The Sea Pines Resort, Hilton Head Island, South Carolina.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Act as fitness concierge for all guests and members visiting the resort’s fitness centre
- Monitor all memberships to ultimately increase revenue
- Organise and execute regular summer time activities
- Organise and execute all holiday activities including July 4th and Thanksgiving
- Act as supervisor to 11 summer interns
- Approve payroll for several members of staff
- Write weekly schedules for up to 15 employees
- Being able to manage and supervise 11 interns allowed me to get an insight into what it takes to be a manager of a department.
- Providing guests with fantastic tours around the awe-inspiring plantation on a daily basis allowed me to appreciate how magnificent Hilton Head Island really is.
What did you find difficult about your placement?
I would often work more than 70 hours a week during the summer. This meant I would have to work having had very little rest sometimes, which was a struggle.
What did you gain from doing a placement?
Being 5,000 miles away from everything you are used to means you must adapt to a whole new way of life. This allowed me to grow in confidence, not just in work situations but also as an individual. Understanding and appreciating fantastic new cultures meant I really matured during the year.
Outside of your job, what else did you do?
I spent a large part of my internship playing golf on the incredible courses that the resort had to offer. On top of this, I also took time to visit other places: Orlando (FL), Savannah (GA), Charleston (SC), Chicago (IL), New Orleans (LO), Boston (MA) and New York (NY).