Myself and other students are pretty spoilt with the vast array of technology at our disposal. Between smart phones, tablets, and laptops, as well as great uni facilities, we have so many resources at our fingertips at all times.
I’m a little old-fashioned, perhaps, in that I do still prefer a hard-copy reference book to an e-book. And, although I miss playing Mindmaze on Encarta 95 (apologies to many of my student peers for this ‘ancient’ reference – just Google it), the ease of finding relevant information so quickly has certainly made our lives simpler than that of the previous generation.
These are some of my ‘can’t live without’ resources, websites and apps:
- I would be lost without my iPad Mini – its size makes it so practical to have in my handbag and take to lectures. I use it for notes, email, games, news, and so much more.
- For student-access to course results, library resources and careers help, UCB Portal is a great resource provided by UCB. It also has links to loads of other helpful information, advice and guides – the referencing guide is invaluable when writing assignments.
- I’ve been using Dropbox for some time now and it’s so convenient to have access to folders, files and photos whenever I need and wherever I am. Cloud storage is becoming more and more popular and it’s certainly worthwhile when on the go from home to uni to work.
- Not only do I use the BBC News website daily to keep up-to-date with what’s happening in the world, but it’s also a great site for historic articles for referencing in assignments.
- The Student Room has lots of information about student life and careers, as well as forums to post questions and chat with other students about related topics and issues.
- I love a bargain and, with so many NUS discounts to use each week, I head to NUS Extra pretty often.
- I use WordPress for my blog and the app is really helpful when I’m not near my computer but have ideas and notes that I want to add to a draft post.
- The Blackboard Mobile Learn app allows me to easily connect to UCB Online, which gives UCB students access to course information, module resources and lecture notes.
- Life can’t only be about work and Cookie Jam is my go-to, time-wasting game at the moment. Thankfully, you only get five lives and they’re used up quickly and take a while to refresh, which means you can’t get distracted for too long!
- I’m more than a little obsessed with Pinterest. I have boards for all my different hobbies, as well as ones relating to travel and careers. I pin loads of links each week and love taking time to sit down and read through the amazing ideas and tips.
(my usual desk setup)