Now that students are arriving and settling in, I’ve made a list of useful things to know as you begin your time at UCB. As for returning students, you never know, there might be something in this list that you weren’t already aware of!
- UCB Online will be your academic crutch – all your modules and course materials are added here.
- Wednesday nights at BarOne (in The Maltings) are not to be missed – it’s for all UCB students, not just social nights for the sports teams, so enjoy it before moving on to Risa as a big group.
- There’s always great, cheap food to be had at UCB – Cakes and Bakes bakery, the coffee pod, the Atrium Restaurant and the Brasserie Restaurant, the cafeteria on 5th floor and Rooftop Café on 8th floor, all situated at the Summer Row campus. There’s also a cafeteria in the basement of Richmond House, as well as the EatSpace over in the new campus, McIntyre House.
- Finance is on the 1st floor at Summer Row if you have any money-related queries.
- The three main UCB buildings (Summer Row, Richmond House and McIntyre House) are just a short walk from each other.
- Student Services (on the 7th floor of Summer Row) is the place to go for advice and support with careers and employability, financial issues, health and wellbeing, accommodation, learning services, international study and information on the Erasmus programme.
- The library is on the 5th floor at Summer Row, and there is another library on the 4th floor at Richmond House.
- You can work for UCB as a student ambassador – representing the uni and helping with Open Days and other events.
- UCB gym membership costs just £45 for the year – Richmond House gym is open Monday and Tuesday 12.30pm-8.30pm and Wednesday-Friday 12.30pm-6.30pm and the gym at The Maltings is open weekday evenings and at weekends, and you’re able to use both on the one membership!
- The UCB Student Guild office is on the ground floor at Summer Row and is open 10am-4pm Monday-Friday. These are the elected Guild reps for 2014/15:
- Guild President – Ciaran Parkinson
- Vice-President – Charlie Edwards
- Sports & Societies Officer – Kurtis Lipman
- Marketing Officer – Hannah Roberts
- LGBT Officer – Ben Bushell
- Postgraduate and Mature Student Officer – Nicole Mangan
- Entertainments Officer – Andrea Theodosi
- International Officer – Ardjana Marku
I hope these points help to make you more aware of all the useful things UCB has to offer. If you think you can add to this list, or if you have any advice for your fellow UCB students, please leave a comment!